I know first hand the difficulty in finding ingredients what are not just lactose free foods, but GFCF and SF. that enable you to craft really great tasting dishes starting out with dairy free living, never mind multiple restrictions. Heck, it took me a three years to make a pizza that met my gluten-free, dairy-free requirement and tasted good, with melty cheese substitute (another thank-you to Daiya). Some of you, out there in readerland have even more restricted diets than I do. I eat a bit of soy, for example. For those of you who cannot tolerate putting soy-based cream cheese on your homemade fresh-baked quinoa bagel (you might try baking that, I believe in you!) here is a recipe:
Cash-Oh Yes That’s Creamy Recipe (GFSF Vegan)
- 1 cup of raw unsalted jumbo cashews
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil (substitute: canola)
- 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour (or sub 2.25 tablespoons of white rice flour)
- 1 tablespoon of hummus (optional: I like this, but it is obviously another recipe if you are working from scratch)
- 3 tablespoons of hemp milk (or substitute brown rice milk)
- 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum
- 1/4 tsp (a pinch) of sea salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (careful: check that it is gluten-free, if you are GF)
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
Beyond Lactose Free Foods Directions:
- If you have a good blender or food processor that will make a very UNGRAINY cashew paste, that is my usual (quick) method.
Soak the cashews overnight first.
- ADD the cashews along with the hemp milk and oil until and BLEND very smooth.
- ADD the other ingredients and BLEND until well mixed.
- Put in container, and let it chill for a few hours in the fridge.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to a week.
Beyond Lactose Free Foods Bonus Options and Notes:
Recommended Lactose Free Foods and Snacks
Discover hundreds of gluten-free, soy-free, & dairy-free foods, products, & books at Amazon. Shop quickly and securely and save all the hours you’d spend scouring your town or city (finding less while paying more). The easiest and most secure online shopping.
Beyond Dairy Free Living Epilogue: Final
I prefer the ingredients listed for maximum creaminess. As you can see there are a ton of options, “beyond” lactose free foods, but some recipes will turn this spread into as a vegan “topping” rather than a good substitute for cream cheese. I feel that the backup options in parenthesis, or other substitutions, will make it a bit less creamy. There are a number of decent sites with recipes for those suffering from dairy intolerance and trying to enjoy a wide variety of lactose free foods, or for those of you who are GFSF vegans! So go way beyond lactose free foods and try out this one, and let me know what you think!